Dear Madam, Sir,
Re: Application for the position of Teacher Librarian
I am writing to express my strong interest in a teacher-librarian position.
I am an experienced librarian currently working in Singapore as teacher-librarian and IT/Library teamleader at the Overseas Family School, one of the largest IB schools in Asia. Previously, I was the Librarian / Library Assistant of the International School of Wiesbaden (ISW), the elementary campus of the Frankfurt International School (FIS) in Germany and the head Librarian of Western International School of Shanghai (WISS) in China. Both schools are PYP schools
- I hold a Master degree with distinction in Information and Library Studies from the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen and graduated with a thesis on Information Literacy awareness within the Diploma Years Programme of the International Baccalaureate, based upon which I have written and presented a paper at the 2012 IASL conference in Doha and at the 2012 Hands on Literacy conference in Singapore.
- I have been Librarian / Library assistant in PYP Elementary schools during the last 7 school years in Germany, China and Singapore. The schools are PYP schools and work towards the IB diploma. In the first 2 schools, I started under difficult circumstances, due to the sudden departure of the existing Librarian. In both schools, I managed to turn around the library into an environment where students would thrive with a well functioning parent volunteer scheme, author visits, book week, reading buddies and regular parent newsletters. Both schools provided me with letters of recommendation.
- Within the library, I provide library classes which are, when required, tied in to the current units of enquiry. I see currently around 850 students on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
- Due to my previous career as head of IT / IT manager in Singapore, I have a strong IT background. My excellent knowledge of databases proved to be of great value for my role as Librarian. At ISW, I managed the transfer from their existing library database towards their current OPAC (Follett Destiny). At WISS, I managed the full cataloging and implementation of the existing OPAC (Follett Destiny) while at the same time expanding the library to double it’s size.
- In my previous jobs, as well as in my role as librarian, I worked within a team and managed small groups of people successfully. I am able to lead and motivate staff and volunteers while achieving targets and deadlines. I set up cooperative networks in order to share knowledge and experience.
I consider myself to be an entrepreneurial, enthusiastic self-leaner who is able to apply the acquired skills to my current role. I am a very committed librarian and feel strongly about the importance and role of the library of the 21th century.
As you pursue my Curriculum Vitae and supporting documentation, I believe that you will ascertain that my past experience as Librarian as well as my previous experiences as Head of IT have provided me with wide ranging skills that are directly transferable and will serve well the needs of students, parents and staff of your community. I sincerely hope to be able to meet you regarding this exciting opportunity and will be available for an interview if needed.
I look forward to your favorable response.